Thursday 24 February 2011

"A little princess" by Frances Hodgson Burnett :)

It was my fifth grade of the primary school. Our GP looked at me and said: "You have to go to hospital because you've got pneumonia and it's the best way to treat this disease". "OK, fair enough," Michalina thought. ;) As it turned out later, this period was horrible for me and I don't want to go to hospital anymore. The only thing that let me feel comfortable was a book that I had received from my classmates as a small gift, namely "A little princess". Thanks to this book I could forget about my reality and improve my imagination. I like this book for several reasons:
  • the main character, Sara, is very mature for her age; she loves his father to the utmost and although she knows that her father died and her privileges meant nothing, there was a ray of hope in her small heart
  • the Sara's father, Captain Crewe, was a perfect father and mother at the same time since his wife died after giving birth to her daughter
  • Miss Minchin, who is a horrible woman and at first treats Sara like a princess and then scowls at her; btw, it was Miss Minchin that was my first hated person (and don't forget that at that moment I perceived her as a real human)
  • Emily, (SURPRISE, SURPRISE!) the dream doll of Sara, which was given to her by her father.. It was her best doll ever. I think that the fragment below explains the main plot of the story:
"Papa," said Sara, "you see, if I went out and bought a new doll every few days I should have more than I could be fond of. Dolls ought to be intimate friends. Emily is going to be my intimate friend."

Captain Crewe looked at Miss Minchin and Miss Minchin looked at Captain Crewe.

"Who is Emily?" she inquired.

"Tell her, Sara," Captain Crewe said, smiling.

Sara's green-gray eyes looked very solemn and quite soft as she answered.

"She is a doll I haven't got yet," she said. "She is a doll papa is going to buy for me. We are going out together to find her. I have called her Emily. She is going to be my friend when papa is gone. I want her to talk to about him."

Miss Minchin's large, fishy smile became very flattering indeed.

"What an original child!" she said. "What a darling little creature!"

"Yes," said Captain Crewe, drawing Sara close. "She is a darling little creature. Take great care of her for me, Miss Minchin."


 I think that all of us know this story about the little girl. I will not bore you with the whole plot. If interested, visit the link at the bottom of this post. I think that this book has enriched greatly my childhood and even now I can feel that it was worth reading. Have you met a girl who was not interested in feeling like a little princess with all these dresses, shoes, toys and even harsh Miss Minchin? ..YOU SEE! ;)

    3 comments:

    1. Thanks Michalina for recalling the story which I know, unfortunately, only from TV screen...

      ReplyDelete
    2. Oh, I can't remember how many times I read the book as a child. Five? Six? And every time with tears in my eyes. I guess you're right, it's about being a princess, even when you so obviously are not. I have seen many screen adaptations, but none came even close to the powerful emotions of the novel.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I remember this book, touching...:)

      ReplyDelete